Have you always wondered why there is so much talk about food porn?
Have you asked yourself "Why are people obsessed with taking pictures of their food and sending it to their friends or posting it all over social media sites?"
What's the big deal? Food is food right?
Would you rather eat this....
I think we would all agree, the picture #1 is more appealing to the eye than picture #2.
Why is that?
Well, the kale wrapped Chicken Fajita (picture #1) is very colorful and looks fresh, light, crunchy, mouthwatering and inviting. Whereas, the crunchy beef and cheese tacos (picture #2), looks plane, heavy, greasy and a stomach ache waiting to happen.
You are bound to want to eat more of picture #1 than picture #2. Which is exactly my point.
Something that is appealing to the eye, is very inviting and draws us, as human beings to it and creates a desire to want it. This is why in the morning before leaving for work, or on a Friday night before going out, we take the time to make ourselves look appealing, presentable, sexy, etc. Now, why in the world wouldn't you do the same for the fuel you are putting into your body?
Exactly, that doesn't make any sense because In order to feel, look, and be sexy it starts with what we are putting into our bodies.
The key to success when preparing and eating sexy food is, your state of mind. Before eating something take a moment to think, What does what I'm about to eat look like to me; a beautiful, colorful garden on a summer day, or a week old Sandwich your kid left in their backpack? Ask yourself, will I LOOK sexy eating this, and will I FEEL sexy after eating this?. Your state of mind must think, feel, and see sexy in order for you to understand the importance of why your food should look and taste sexy.
Let me break it down for you into some simple how to steps to make sexy food.
1) Presentation: Take a little extra time and put some love into your food. Rather than sloping it onto a plate or in a plastic container, take the time to make it look inviting. For example: when packing your lunch for work, your mouth should be watering around lunch time from thinking about what you packed for lunch and remembering how delicious it looked that morning.
2) Freshness: Use fresh fruits and vegetables, rather than frozen or canned foods. You want to bite into your food and feel,hear the fresh crunch to it, or taste the sweet natural sugar in it. Get fresh produce weekly at your local Farmer's market (make it a fun event and invite someone to go with you (2 is always better than 1)). Sprouts Market has wonderful, vibrant fruits and vegetables and on Wednesdays they have double add day, meaning you get both last weeks and the upcoming week sales prices. SCORE!!!
3) Appearance: Make it very colorful and vibrant, appealing to the eye. When you sit down to eat something It should scream EAT ME. Before eating anything, you should stop and look to see if and how you could make your food come to life. Look at what you are putting into your body, study it, make it your master piece.
4) Taste: Add sauces (salsa, Greek yogurt) , juices ( lime, lemon), dressings ( coconut oil, oil vinegar, flavored vinegars or oils), etc. Things that look juicy, moist, succulent are naturally appealing to the eye and create desire. For example: you see a picture of a pool and a picture of a desert, your eyes will automatically be drawn to the picture of the pool. Same with food, if you see a picture of juicy grilled chicken with fresh crispy vegetables and one of some kale and dry crackers you are going to want that juicy chicken.
Some tricks of the trade: use Greek yogurt instead of Mayonnaise, add course spicy brown mustard to Greek yogurt to give things a kick. Flavored oils and vinegars. Homemade salsa is great on salads. Lemon and lime juice always give things some extra flavor and get to know your seasoning cabinet.
5) Size: Smaller portions look sexier than a plate overflowing with food. Again think, when the waitress brings me my lunch, am I going to look sexy eating this or feel sexy after I'm done eating it? If the answer is no to either of those questions, then the food you chose to fuel your sexy body is NOT sexy.
6) Sexy, light, substitutions: We don't have to give up all our cravings, comfort food we may love so much, in order to be a sexy eater. What we do need to do though, is think of how we can make those not so healthy choices healthier, fresh and appealing to the eye.
Here are some substitutions I have enjoyed when studying how to make my food a little bit more inviting and sexy.
For pizza: make a zucchini or cauliflower crust, thick grilled egg plant slices, or this whole wheat tortilla. Hollow out zucchini and make pizza boats rather than French bread pizza.
For sandwiches: make wraps out of romaine lettuce, red kale leaves, butter lettuce, etc. Tuna and egg salad sandwiches are wonderful when wrapped in any of these or stuffed in an avocado or bell pepper. Use your lunch meat and wraps cheese and veggies in it for a high protein snack.
For tacos: again use any greens and make wraps, make burrito bowls with mixed greens, couscous, quinoa rather burritos in a thick tortilla.
Remember, It's all in a state of mind". A sexy state of mind, creates a desire to want to eat sexy food, which then makes you feel and look sexy while doing it.
LIVIN IN THE MIND OF LUXURY. GET ADDICTED!
- Annette Waters
(Personal Chef for Electra)